Veranstaltung ausschließlich für Fachpublikum
„How to transform my research into a proper research article?“ – Successfully managing the transition to the writing phase
When: December 4th & 5th, 2023; 9:00 - 15:30 each day (plus: one-hour individual online coaching by appointment)
Who: Doctoral Candidates and Postdocs at Berlin University Alliance (FU, HU, TU, Charité)
Electives: Elective I; personal skills and interdisciplinary courses. (0.9 ECTS-CP Points)
Registration: Please use our registration form to register
Target group and prerequisites:
English-speaking international doctoral students and German doctoral students who are
- write their publication dissertation in English,
- are pursuing a doctorate in the natural and life sciences,
- are pursuing a doctorate with an empirical research project,
- are writing a publication doctorate (cumulative doctorate) and
- are in transition from the data collection to the writing phase.
Workshop Description & Contents:
In the work process of a publication doctorate, the transition from literature research and data collection to writing is often a particular challenge. The task now is to break down a more or less complex study into one or more articles and to write a framing text. While the manuscript text is usually an unfamiliar form of text for the doctoral candidates, they are in direct competition with other authors when they submit their manuscripts. One difficulty is that junior researchers often do not have the same publishing experience as seniors and are not yet familiar with the requirements of the various journals or with the criteria of the editorial offices and peer reviewers.
A brief overview of the workshop contents:
- Challenges of writing professional articles and typical stumbling blocks for junior researchers.
- (Re-)focusing: clarifying positions and messages of the scientific text proposal
- Conceptualizing the text with the help of a concept abstract; review and consolidation with peer feedback loop
- Which writing strategy suits me best - promoting strengths, mitigating risks
- Techniques for starting to write: low-threshold writing; creativity and con-trol: first draft and revision
- Constructing the relationship between jacket text and technical articles
The workshop will take place as an online event on a video conferencing platform.
Camera and microphone (internal or external) are required. LAN connection is recommended for stability reasons.
Dr. Sven Arnold
Graduate Studies Support
Workshop: 4. & 5. December 2023, each day 9:00-15:30 (online)
Individual coaching: by appointment (online)