Event for expert public only
Den Übergang in die Schreibphase erfolgreich gestalten
„Das muss ich jetzt bloß noch aufschreiben ...?“ – Den Übergang in die Schreibphase erfolgreich gestalten
Scientific writing in natural and life sciences
22 & 23 June 2022, 9:00-15:30 each day (online).
(plus: one-hour individual online coaching by appointment on 24, 27 or 28 June 2022)
Doctoral students who are
- are pursuing a doctorate in the natural and life sciences,
- are pursuing a doctoral degree with an empirical research project,
- are writing a monograph (not a cumulative dissertation) and
- are in the transition from the data collection to the writing phase.
Description and Contents:
In the working process of a monographic dissertation, the transition from lite-rature research and data collection to writing is often a particular challenge. This is because a monograph is usually a much more complex and extensive task than, for example, writing a 15-page technical article. It is usually necessary to process more material, to present theoretical and methodological principles in greater detail and, last but not least, to manage and sustain a longer working process.
The workshop contents at a glance:
- Challenges of scientific writing and typical stumbling blocks for junior researchers.
- (Re-)focusing: clarifying positions and messages of the scientific text proposal
- Conceptualizing the text with the help of a concept abstract; review and consolidation with peer feedback loop
- Techniques to start writing: low-threshold writing; creativity and con-trol: first draft and revision
- Which writing strategy suits me - promoting strengths, mitigating risks.
- On the relationship between scientificity, scientific language, and comprehensibility.
- The core elements of the monographic dissertation - function, content, structure
The workshop takes place as an online event on a video conference platform.
Camera and microphone (internal or external) are required. LAN connection is recommended for stability reasons.
The workshop is fully booked. Thank you for your messages.
PhD students of the Berlin University Alliance (Charité/FU/HU/TU) are eligible to participate.
Elective: Elective I; personal skills and interdisciplinary courses.
Organizational and administrative matters
Dr. Sven Arnold
Graduate Studies Support
Workshop: June 22 & 23, 2022, 9:00-15:30 each day (online).
Individual coaching: by appointment on June 24, 27 & 28, 2022 (online).